getURLinfo is a webservice that when given a URL retrieves useful and visual information about it.
Format is optional (XML is the default), callback used for JSON only. Check out the examples, and response documentation, and FAQs.
- URLs served
- Almost all URL shortening services (digg bar sucks)
- BBC iPlayer
- Google Finance
- Google Maps
Service that will probably be added in the future, and the type of object they will return
- Journalism article
- posterous, Tumblr, Guardian, Wordpress hosted blogs, Slideshare, Scribd, more?
- Weather location
- BBC Weather, Weather.com, Yahoo
- Finance company
- Yahoo Finance, MSN Money, AOL Finance, CNN Money, Reuters
- Mapping location
- Google Maps, Yahoo Maps, MapQuest
- Video sharing video
- Hulu, Viddler, Funny or Die, Qik, more?
- Shopping product
- Amazon, more?
- Photo sharing image
- SmugMug, Twitpic, yfrog, tweetPhoto, Picasa
- Profiles identity
- Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, Google, Windows Live ID, loads more?
Some of these things might find their way into this product:
- More/better caching and cache control
- Fields from the URL's HEAD returned
- PHP serialised array response format
- Internationalisation of responses
- Limiting resultsets for speed
- Doesn't handle more than 2 redirects on a URL (for speed)
- Rate limiting on some service frontends and APIs causes unexpected results
By Jason Cartwright